Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ninja Bike

With the incredible help of Jim Duthie, I have been steadily building over the past month my dreamy new Ninja Bike. It all started from an idea....

A bike that is:
Stealth (silent, black, capable of being safely reflected and running dark, nondescript, nimble)
Tough
Easily transported on my back
Light

It's a bike I can commute on and ride on secret missions (to my girlfriend's house for example), and a bike I can be sneaky on. Hence the bike took form with Jim's help and some easy imagination. It's a track bike, and it is a single speed. No clicking, no whirring, no jangling of spare bits and bells, no derailer to gum things up. Simple, straightforward, easy to mount and dismount, and easy to ride no handed (for those moments when you need to grab onto an overhead bar to flip up onto, duh).

I started buying parts about a month ago with the wheels. I was able to find an all black set, spokes, hubs, and rim (NON MACHINED - essential to remain all black) on ebay. The wheel set is great.. back wheel is set up for flip flop single speed and fixie!

Next was the frame and as this is a crucial part it was the hardest choice. I thought about going for a Mercier TT from bikesdirect, or just buying one from bikeIsland, but I found a great deal on ebay again from CrossLakes Sales. It's an aluminium frame, comes black with no stickers and a great price tag!

No comments: