Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Green Living 01

Green Living tip of the day:  Garbage Resistance Front
 
Instead of paying to have your garbage picked up weekly, which requires generating huge amounts of garbage (garbage = waste) try not having a garbage pickup at all.  Institute a carry in carry out garbage policy for all your guests to drive home the waste impact they (and you) have!  Unfortunately recycling is generally grouped with garbage removal services so you have to do your recycling yourself.  I go to Far West Fibers about once a month with a whole bunch of recycling which is really fun and great because ...  drum roll please...  they accept a myriad of things that curbside recyclers do not!  From plastic clamshells (the remnants of most street cart vendor meals) to Styrofoam.  So I can recycle much more than I would ordinarily be able to.
 
On the flip side the garbage my household does generate amounts to about a plastic shopping bag's worth per month, which gets hand delivered to a can with some room to spare.  I mix it up around the neighborhood so as to spread out my impact.  No one suffers, and I pay less, and guess what?  I recycle more and more every time. 
 
NOTE:  To reduce your garbage this much you must also compost.  For a good resource on composting in Portland check this site.

1 comment:

Greenstigator said...

Another great composting resource

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/11/10538.pdf

Also PortlandOnline seems to have great information about recycling as well (the link at the end of the original post).